Question:

From Australia:

My 14 year old son was diagnosed last week. He has taken an active interest in diet and medications. I'm waiting for him to start to 'grieve' for his former carefree life. Any advice with this would be most welcome.

Answer:

I really think you are very astute in your request for information. At 14 (in my opinion, the worst age to have to contend with diabetes) your child is handling things on a cognitive level: things he can measure and "fix," such as food, medication, etc. However, at some time he will be sad, angry, frustrated, etc. when he realizes that no matter what he does, he still has diabetes.

Leave the door open for conversation, even negative conversation. Does he have a history of being "a trooper"? Does he expect that others expect him to be brave and leave his feelings out of the equation? I suspect that when the time is right, he will share more than he does now. All feelings are acceptable!

Meanwhile, be grateful. The time for grief will come. By the way, have you allowed yourself to grieve?

CMB

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Behavior