Question:

From Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA:

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at around 28 weeks of pregnancy. My numbers for the 3-hour glucose tolerance test were 84, 141, 163 and 153, respectively. My first question is that I thought two of the readings had to be higher than the diagnostic criteria in order to be considered gestational diabetic. The only number that was higher than normal was the last one, 153. However, my midwife diagnosed me with gestational diabetes and has me testing my blood after each meal. My second question is that I know one hour after meals my glucose level should be below 140 and after two hours should be below 120. If I have a reading above 140 after one hour, but below 120 after two hours, should I be concerned?

Answer:

You are correct. To make the diagnosis of gestational diabetes, there have to be two test results above the threshold value. However, some mothers may have mild insulin resistance and not meet threshold criteria. Thus, you are in the gray zone. The fact that some of your one hour post-meal glucose values are elevated suggest that you have mild glucose intolerance. Clearly by two hours you are back in the normal range. If you have an occasional (once or twice a week) value over 140 mg/dl at one hour, then I would not be concerned. If this elevation persists, then you may benefit from some insulin. As the pregnancy progresses, it is possible that the degree of insulin resistance may increase.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes