From New Zealand:

One concept that I found interesting was the use of premixed insulins in children. Here in New Zealand, most children do not progress to a premixed insulin (and hence a pen) until the age of about 10 years old. I guess this is consistent with the European Guidelines (1993). I often meet parents who would love to have there children using a pen for convenience reasons, and yet their paediatrician will not consider this for the above reasons and perhaps also that the use has not been researched.

Have you researched the differences of children self mixing and using premixed insulins? What was your results?

Can you point me in the direction of any research that will support children doing well on premixed insulins?

Thanks for your question about our practice here in Glasgow, and indeed most of the UK, with premixed insulin. We feel that the regimen should be tailored to the individual child but that it should still be as simple as possible. I know of no evidence that self-mixing produces better results and Steve Green and Malachy O'Hagan from Dundee showed that control was no different. (O'Hagan, M. and Greene, S.A. Pre-mixed insulin delivered by disposable pen in the management of children with diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 10(10):972-975, 1993.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Insulin