From Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada:

My son is 17 and was diagnosed with diabetes three months ago. One month ago he started having heart palpitations that he finds alarming. Three doctors believe the cause is anxiety attacks. Is there any association between heart stimulation and insulin? He swears he is not anxious or upset about the diabetes, and we believe he has adjusted very well.

This question was referred to several members of the Diabetes Team, who have each given an answer:

Answer from Craig McAlister Broadhurst, Clinical Specialist in Counseling:

To the very best of my knowledge, there is not a connection between insulin and true anxiety disorders.

Answer from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

Sometimes when a person's blood sugar is low or dropping, he or she may feel palpitations.

Answer from Dr. Songini:

I will assume that other medical conditions, such as hyperthyroidism, has been excluded. With lispro insulin [Humalog®], I've observed quite often subclinical hypos, which might be a concern, especially if you consider the possible honeymoon period of this adolescent.