Question:

From Brazil:

I've read about Olestra and found some interesting information. I'm Brazilian and there're none of these fat substitutes here. I've made other searches and found out a product called Z-Trim. I would like to have information about it, its pro's and con's.

Answer:

Z-trim is another fat substitute that is waiting to enter the market for use in processed foods. It is derived from mostly the indigestible parts of rice, oats, soybeans,peas or the bran of corn or wheat. The product is made to use in baked products and gives the mouth feel of fat without the calories. Apparently it also takes the place of some of the flour in products which is different from the fat replacer Olestra. I am not aware of any products currently on the market using Z-trim.

JM