Question:

From Canada:

Recently, we were in the USA on vacation and we noticed that peanuts show carbohydrates on their packages. We have been using peanuts, cashews, and pecans as free snacks assuming they were carbohydrate-free. Can you offer any information?

Answer:

According to my food content sources, peanuts contain between 4 and 6 grams of carbohydrate per ounce. Compared to a "carbohydrate" serving, it is close to 1/3 of a serving. The effect on the blood sugar is likely to be less than a 5 gram serving of fruit, for example, because peanuts have close to 15 grams of fat per ounce and 6-7 grams of protein per ounce. Unless your child is eating large amounts of peanuts at a time, I doubt that it is necessary to count the carbohydrate in them. Blood sugars can be affected by high fat foods. Fat may delay the absorption of all nutrients and allow the glucose into the system at a slower rate. If the appearance of the glucose misses the action of the insulin, blood sugars can be high. We often see this happen when children have a high fat meal with hamburger and french fries, for example.

JM