From Florida, USA:

A friend, age 56, female, was diagnosed today with Type 2 diabetes. Her doctor did not give her complete direction of diet, medication, or exercise. It will be 3 weeks before she is able to enter an educational class or meet with a dietitian. I am a diabetic (diagnosed at age 7, I'm now 32.) I need your help to help this friend cope with the challenge that lies ahead.

What your friend needs is an individualized plan! Does the doctor have her testing blood sugars? She needs to be trained to do this. This will determine if her meal plan is working and will tell if she needs medications. Until she gets to her classes, and to see the dietitian, I would suggest she eat 3 meals a day, and try to get some exercise, like walking. I think this is about all you can do until she gets more instruction based on her individual needs.