Question:

From British Columbia, Canada:

My daughter is 25 and has had Type 1 diabetes for 5 years. For the last couple of years she has been bothered by hives. At first they seemed to be brought on by changes in temperature but lately they seem to have less specific causes and be more severe. Her eyes and lips swell up. She is constantly on antihistamines. Her doctor has said that diabetics are "prone" to hives but this is not enough information. Is there a link between diabetes and hives? Is there a better answer than taking daily doses of antihistamines?

Answer:

I'm not aware of nor I've seen any type 1 diabetic patient also suffering from hives (urticaria). The possible link between them is probably based on the fact that Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and these patients can therefore be more prone to other autoimmune or allergic disease such as hives.