Question:

From the State of Washington, USA:

I am a 12 year old 6th grader and have had Type 1 diabetes for about 8 months. I am high at night and sometimes feel anxious. Is anxiety part of hyperglycemia?

Answer:

Blood sugar levels can indeed be elevated by anxiety and stress. My concern is what is causing you to be anxious? Generally, when people have trouble with anxiety late in the evening; something is troubling them. How is school going? Anything upsetting at home for you?

Anxiety does not go with hyperglycemia, but hyperglycemia can go hand in hand with chronic anxiety! Hope this makes sense for you. If there is someone you trust, try talking about what is going on with you. Talking all by itself can lessen anxiety. Not talking tends to increase it.

CMB

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA