Question:

From New London, New Hampshire, USA:

I am a college nursing student in New Hampshire. I just met an 11 year old girl who has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. She is very discouraged right now because she has a great knowledge deficit of diabetes since her nursing team at home have not taught her much about how this diagnoses will affect her life. I am only a student, but I want to help. What are the most important things I should tell her?

Answer:

This is a difficult question to answer in a quick note. Probably the best thing to do would be to contact the nearest pediatric diabetes team, and speak with them. If your patient has not yet met with an experienced pediatric diabetes educator, then helping to arrange this will be invaluable. In the meantime you can also contact the American Association of Diabetes Educators and the American Diabetes Association for references and information.

LM

[Editor's comment: I might also suggest that she and her parents visit the Chat Rooms to learn from other parents and kids. Sometimes just talking with others, even if over the Internet, can make a big difference. JSH]