Question:

From New Hampshire, USA:

My girlfriend is 27 years old and is 29 weeks along in her pregnancy. She was recently diagnosed as having gestational diabetes. We have read some information on gestational diabetes. We are concerned with the risk of hypoglycemia when the baby is born and wish to know how this effect may be prevented? Also, neither of us have any family history of diabetes, she is not obese, and did not have any symptoms of diabetes before pregnancy. I was wondering if it is rare for someone without these risk factors to develop GDM? Also I would appreciate any other recommended sources for information on managing her condition?

Answer:

Hypoglycemia in the newborn is usually a transient condition lasting a brief period of time. It results from excess insulin production by the fetus as a result of exposure to high levels of glucose from the diabetic mother. Babies respond well to glucose supplementation as they adjust to their new environment. By maintaining good glucose control during pregnancy, the risk of hypoglycemia can be minimized, but not prevented in every case.

A pregnant mother does not have to have any risk factors to develop gestational diabetes.

If you have access to a medical library, a good text source is Diabetes Mellitus in Pregnancy by by E. Albert Reece and Donald R. Coustan.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes