Question:

From Indiana, USA:

My son is eight years old and has Type 1 diabetes. We are having a hard time getting the school administration to allow us access to food labels of the foods they offer for lunch. The food service director says that if we put our request in writing and he feels that they are reasonable, he will provide us with the information. This has disturbed us and our son's doctor, who has asked them to provide the parents with access to food labels.

Answer:

My suggestion is to go to a higher authority. They really cannot refuse such a simple request especially if the doctor has written a letter requesting the information. The school board may be the next step, but hopefully this will not be necessary. Maybe a meeting with those involved where you can explain how important this information is to you would be helpful.

JM

[Editor's comment: If your requests continue to go unanswered, your local American Diabetes Association affiliate may be able to provide the necessary push to convince your school system to cooperate. For more information about schools and resources that can help you, see Diabetes at School. JSH]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Social Issues: School and Daycare