From Olympia, Washington, USA:

I have a patient with Type 2 diabetes who is asking about cholestin food supplement for helping to reduce cholesterol levels. This apparently is a product made of "red yeast rice" and available at the health food stores. Is it safe for diabetics and will it help reduce cholesterol?

This product appears to be like so many other "natural" treatments. It is not regulated or defined by the FDA and there are not any studies that I have found that say whether or not it will work to lower cholesterol, or whether it is safe to use. Other bran such as oat has been studied and proven to lower cholesterol, so I assume it is possible.