Question:

From Amarillo,Texas, USA:

My father has Type 1 diabetes and has had it for more than ten years. He has been having complications and has been having blackouts where he passes out for hours or goes in public places and gets low. On several occasions an ambulance had to be called. Is there any kind of device he can wear that he could activate to medical personal or family members if he feels it getting low? Or is there a specially trained dog maybe that would be able to detect him getting low? Is there any way to prevent these reactions from happening?

Answer:

How horrible! The first thing is it sounds like his treatment program may be wrong. Is he checking his blood sugar levels, and getting his insulin adjusted? If he hasn't seen an endocrinologist I would strongly suggest he do so.

There are devices available that could be activated (to call for help). Check with AARP or your local hospital. I don't know of any to detect symptoms of lows.

SS