From Lexington, Kentucky, USA:

My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 eight months ago. Around holidays and special activities she becomes very upset. I know it is hard for her and she has to be angry. Recently, at school, she has been taking her fellow classmates' things and hiding them or writing things on their papers. This is highly out of the ordinary for her. I feel like because of her age and dealing with being a diabetic is extremely difficult for her and she is having a hard time understanding her emotions. How can I make her teacher understand without using diabetes as an excuse? My daughter's endocrinologist suggests a psychiatrist but I would rather her see a psychologist or a counselor. What do you think?

I would suggest a counselor with expertise in assisting children with chronic diseases. Your daughter's behavior is not pathological but more of an adjustment disorder, I believe.

Posted to Behavior