Question:

From California, USA:

I have a eight year old son diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. This was diagnosed after extensive gastric surgery when he was four. He recently started having high blood sugar readings. But he has not yet developed diabetes. His sugar always returns to normal ranges or goes below normal. There is no set amount of time it takes him to return to normal but he does. Could he be a candidate for the study trials I have read about on this web page? His islet cell test was normal as was his C-peptide. He is currently on multiple medications for other problems. Also is there any time frame as to when he will stop producing insulin on his own? His doctor said it is going to happen but not when. I feel like we are walking on eggshells.

Answer:

From what you have told us I am not at all clear on what basis your doctor thinks that your son will inevitably get diabetes. One way to be sure whether or not he is at high risk to get Type 1 or autoimmune diabetes would be to get an antibody test done. If he has two or more of the three antibodies normally tested for and was still not clinically diabetic he would certainly be a candidate to get small doses of insulin by injection or oral insulin as part of the national DPT-1 trial.

There are of course other forms of diabetes that can develop in children of this age; but by and large they are quite rare.

DO'B