From Barrow, Cumbria, United Kingdom:

My 4 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 10 months ago. He has insulin injections twice a day. Despite very tight control of his diet, on occasions, we can't explain why his blood glucose readings are higher or lower than usual. Could this be because his insulin production is starting and stopping? What is the "grace" or "honeymoon" period in the initial stages of diabetes, and what effect will this have on our son?

I don't have quite enough data to answer your query precisely. Strictly speaking, the values for blood sugar are seldom "normal" in an healthy little boy as your son but they are acceptable, given a good value of HbA1c. In fact, the honeymoon period lasts generally a little while (few months) in a small child compared to kids and adults. It is quite probable that it's now time to switch to a more convenient intensive insulin regimen on the basis of home blood sugar self-monitoring to identify patterns and make appropriate adjustments.

Don't panic about short-term swings in your son's blood sugars because it's long-term average metabolic control that matters for the future. In any case, if HbA1c test would come out higher than reference values perhaps I'd suggest you to ask your diabetes team for more help.

Posted to Honeymoon