Question:

From Mexico:

I made a test in my urine of 24 hour microalbumin or something. I got 1.54 in a rate 0 to 2.0. I want to know if this means I'm developing nephropathy or something like that or if it's normal. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about a year ago and I'm 17.

Answer:

You should not be attempting to perform or interpret microalbuminuria tests on yourself. Ask your diabetes doctor to explain the test, how to perform it properly according to your local methods, and what it means.

The chances of you having diabetic nephropathy after only a year are small, especially if you have had good blood sugar control.