From Dublin, Ireland:

I have just read one of your answers where you say in Mitochondrial Diabetes there is a link between diabetes and deafness; I never thought there was a link. My eldest daughter (now age 15) was born with no hearing in her right ear, cause unknown. My youngest daughter now age 6 was diagnosed with diabetes last year. Is it possible that they both have mitochondrial myopathy and if so would this be a different type of diabetes and with what implications?

I think it very unlikely indeed that both your children have any kind of a mitochondrial disorder. First of all the very great majority of children with insulin dependant diabetes in an almost entirely Caucasian population like Ireland have Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes. You should talk to your doctor about this and if you feel that my reassurance is insufficient you could get a confirmatory antibody test done which will still be positive unless she has had diabetes for more than two or three years. MIDDM or Maternally Inherited Deafness and Diabetes Mellitus is a very rare condition anyway and besides this your younger daughter is not deaf and you yourself are neither diabetic nor deaf. This doesn't help to tell you why your elder daughter is deaf in one ear; but I hope it reinforces the likelihood that a mitochondrial disorder is as near to impossible as one can ever go in medicine.