Question:

From Madison, Wisconsin, USA:

Can you tell me what blood sugar reading is too high? My blood sugar has been ranging between 200-350 for at least the last week. Is this dangerous?

Answer:

The numbers you report for blood sugar values are certainly too high, although they matter in term of future chronic complications only if they last for a long while enough to increase and keep high the value of glycohemoglobin (according to the DCCT study, risk increases with values of HbA1c greater than 7.9%). I would suggest you to ask your diabetes team to see what to do in order to interpret why, and then to avoid, these high values.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Daily Care