From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

I recently saw on the news an item about a new kind of sugar substitute made out of sugar, called "Splenda". What can you tell me about this? Will it be okay for Type 1 diabetics to use?

Splenda is another name for sucralose which has been approved by the FDA for use as an additive to baked goods, gelatins, jams, processed fruits and fruit juices, gums, sauces, toppings syrups, sodas, frozen dairy desserts, and other foods. It can also be used as a table top sweetener. It is created by putting sugar molecules through a chemical process so that the body does not recognize it as sugar or any other carbohydrate. It has no calories and does not promote tooth decay. The product was developed in 1976 by a British food additive company and it has gone through more than 100 scientific studies. It has been used in foreign countries since 1991. I have not been sent any information from the manufacturers in the mail to this date. I do not know when the products will be on the market.