Question:

From Tennessee, USA:

I have a seven year old second grade student who is a fructose diabetic. I can find no information on this type of disease. Would you please direct me to where I can find information on this type of diabetes? There is nothing on the specific disease on the Internet.

Answer:

Fructose Diabetes is not a term that is generally used. Briefly there are two disorders that might go by this name. The first is called 'Essential Fructosuria', in which ingested fructose is leaked by the kidneys into the urine. It is entirely benign.

The second is called 'Hereditary Fructose Intolerance' and is a disorder that is an autosomal recessive, that is to say it must be inherited from both parents and it results in an inability to metabolise the sugar fructose. Left untreated it will result in failure to thrive, vomiting and liver and kidney damage. It is diagnosed by giving a carefully measured dose of fructose in hospital and looking for the appearance of fructose in the urine with a fall in blood sugar and phosphate levels. Treatment involves the strict avoidance of fructose.

DO'B

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses