Question:

From Australia:

My 13-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 years ago. Since then she gets colds and hiccups a lot more frequently. The colds are occurring monthly and of course raise blood sugar levels. The hiccups are just annoying. Are these common complaints?

Answer:

Diabetic adolescents in good metabolic control are not prone more than normal adolescents to infectious diseases. In fact, metabolic changes of stress (as it happens in infections) can temporally raise blood sugars and insulin doses must adjusted in order to keep good metabolic control.

[Editor's comment: Also, I don't associate hiccups with any type of diabetes. WWQ]