Question:

From Hamburg, Germany:

My husband is 50 and Type 2 diabetic. His job means that he is living in a hotel in France from Monday to Friday. The food is rich and he has difficulty in keeping to a proper diet. Added to this, his working hours can be long and erratic sometimes a 12 hour day. He likes wine with his meal, and will often have a brandy afterwards. He does not get enough regular exercise and is always tired. He has just been prescribed a sulfonylurea diabetes pill because his long term test was high (7.5 he tells me). I am concerned. What can you suggest?

Answer:

You have just described most of the typical problems faced by people with type 2 diabetes! In order to get better control of his diabetes and reduce his glycohemoglobin, it will take substantial changes in his life style, which are very difficult to make:

• Eating out less often would be great, but if he can't because of his job, he should talk with a dietitian to learn a few tricks to help a bit;
  • Decreasing the stress of his lifestyle would surely help, but it might be difficult for you to persuade him to change;
  • Alcohol frequently has "empty calories" and may provoke hypoglycemia and should be minimized;
  • Regular daily exercise is crucial to maintain fitness and blood sugar control but he's "too tired";
  • His fatigue should be medically evaluated to look for other disorders (like hypothyroidism) that could be easily treated.

Also, there are other medications besides the pill your husband is on; combinations of different pills might help more than just one.

I'd suggest you talk to your husband, and make sure he is aware of these ideas. If you can go along during a visit to the doctor, then together, you and your husband and the doctor might be able to work out some ways to make the situation better.

WWQ