Question:

From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

Do you happen to know the caloric and carbohydrate content of sunflower seeds with the shells? I cannot find this information anywhere.

Answer:

According to my sources on average an ounce of sunflower seeds has about 5 grams of carbohydrate in them. The shells would not contribute to the carbohydrate as they are fiber. The sources I have do not give the value for the inedible portions of foods.

You may want to look at a package of whole sunflower seeds to see what the package states a serving contains. An ounce of dried seeds contains 162 calories, 6.5 grams of protein, 5.3 grams of carbohydrate and 14 grams of fat. Oil roasted: 1 Ounce contains 175 calories, 6.1 gm protein, 4.2 gm Carbohydrate and 16.3 gm of fat, and 1 ounce of dry roasted contains 165 calories, 5.5 gm protein, 6.8 gm Carbohydrate and 14.1 gm of fat. This information is taken from Bowes & Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used.

JM