From Santa Clara, California, USA:

Just how close is a cure?

I have been reading about research on new immunosuppression drugs, pancreas transplants, islet transplants, etc. Have there been any real successes in these areas?

I hope the readers out there understand that "tight control" does not assure a long problem free life. Yes, it keeps diabetics alive, with a balancing act. There are diabetics out there who could care less about the new products "on the way," non-invasive metering, new pills, etc. I would rather see the manufacturers putting their money into a cure, instead of making money off ill people. You don't see any companies working on a handy meter to measure how much immune system an AIDS patient wakes up with each day.

I am the father of an 8 year old little boy, diagnosed last year, with Type 1. To the diabetics out there, don't settle for anything less than a cure. To the companies out there spending millions on making testing and injecting easier and for also making overpriced diabetic snacks, no thanks, put the money were it really matters, a cure.

You are correct when you affirm that quite probably the last decades have seen the real most important progresses diabetes research has ever achieved. I also think you really are mistaken in supposing that there has been any sort of conspiracy by drug and/or strips and meters companies to delay progress towards finding a cure. You will understand that the quality of life of diabetics and their future has improved quite a lot thanks to strips and meters and intensive insulin therapy and good metabolic control thus achieved has dramatically reduced the risk of long term complications.

Yes, it takes a lot of time to implement new drugs and technology from lab to patients, but this is primarily for safety reasons. As a matter of fact, above all the advanced substitution therapies (such as whole pancreas and islet cells transplants, new pumps, new insulin analogues) and what is going on nowadays with new immunological approaches (nicotinamide, insulin injections or by mouth, vaccines, etc.) is a real challenge: to possibly prevent genetically high-risk subjects from developing clinical diabetes. The last will be to pinpoint the cause/s of diabetes and thus to prevents the first attack to the pancreas and eradicate the disease.

I hopes it gives you reassurance about the coming years.

Posted to Research: Cure