From Pensacola, Florida, USA:

Is Insulin Resistance the same as Type 2 diabetes? I am almost 99% sure that I am Insulin Resistant (I am going for blood work next week, but won't see the doctor for a while). I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and with all the research I have done, I discovered that it is often caused from being Insulin Resistant. I cut back on my carbs drastically and started to eat more protein and (good) fats; I have lost 15 pounds (all in my abdomen area) and my moods have improved, however if I go too long without eating I get "weird" (dizzy, blurry, sick, tired, etc.). I don't know if the doctor ordered a GTT for me or not. I do have a long history of type 2 diabetics in my family, so that is why I am wondering if insulin resistance is the same as Type 2. I am 24 years old and have struggled with my weight my entire life. I did go on a high-carb, low-fat diet for about 2-3 years, lost about 70 pounds, exercise 5 days a week, and then suddenly the weight started to come back (I gained about 30 pounds in 4-5 months, and I was still exercising). Can someone help me understand all of this?

Insulin resistance is certainly a feature of Type 2 Diabetes but they are not synonymous and there are a number of other disorders that are associated with insulin resistance. One of these is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which may also be accompanied by menstrual irregularity, obesity, and varying degrees of masculinization with hirsutism. In one category called Insulin Resistance Type A there are often patches of pigmentation on the upper part of the body which are called acanthosis nigricans.

For the obesity, you need to have a program of vigorous exercise and to seek the advice of an experienced nutritionist, preferably one who works for the team that is already caring for you. It was not clear to me whether or not you were already taking insulin; but whether you are or not you might think to talk to your doctor about using a new drug called Rezulin which increases the sensitivity of the insulin receptor. I have to tell you though that the drug has been withdrawn in Britain because of reports of liver damage; it is still available in the U.S. however. Birth control pills may be a help with menstrual irregularity and with masculinization.