From Australia:

I am a nurse, currently caring for a patient, male, 20 years old, who has been living with Type 1 diabetes for more than 18 years. He was admitted with diabetic ketoacidosis. What measures should I take concerning nursing interventions and treatment regimen for this patient while he is in my care?

I would review sick day management to prevent diabetic ketoacidosis. Diabetic ketoacidosis in an already diagnosed patient is usually preventable. It is caused by lack of insulin and the physiologic changes that result. Either insulin was not given, or an illness or stress occurred without your patient recognizing that he needed more insulin and fluids.

Please see our information on sick days, ketones, and ketoacidosis.

Posted to Daily Care and Hyperglycemia and DKA