Question:

From San Pedro Sula, Honduras:

I am 23 years old, Type 1. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago. That year, I visited the gynecologist because I had amenorrhea (no periods). The gynecologist prescribed Provera and estrogen [female sex hormone medications] at the university infirmary. The gynecologist then referred me to an endocrinologist who said that I was probably missing my periods because I was very underweight (92-95 pounds) and should weigh 105-110. Well, about 15 days after that (on Thanksgiving Day) I ended up in the emergency room, diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. The endocrinologist in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA, had no clue. I was in Houston, Texas, USA, for my Thanksgiving holiday and got sick there. I told the doctors there the whole story and they said that they would take care of my diabetes first and then worry about my periods. I graduated later and came back to my hometown in Honduras. I was given hormones by my new endocrinologist for six months and that regulated my periods. When I stopped taking them, I got irregular again. I just started taking some other hormones called Prempak, but my blood sugars have not been normal, with lots of highs and frequent lows. Could it be this new medication? I'm getting tired of so many medications!

Answer:

You story is somewhat complicated. There may be several factors involved here, but it sounds like you are not ovulating on a regular basis. This may be due to your weight or other factors. Your diet will obviously also affect your blood sugar values. Most diabetic women tolerate birth control pills very well and that may be the best choice to regulate your periods rather than the estrogen.

I suggest that you discuss this with your endocrinologist.

Additional comments from Dr. Lebinger:

If you haven't had your thyroid tested recently, I would make sure to have that done as an underactive thyroid is common in people with diabetes and can also cause irregular periods.

Posted to Other Medications and Family Planning