From Tyler, Texas, USA:

My daughter is 11 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 nine months ago. She takes four dance classes a week and loves it! I have noticed that she gets blisters on her toes. I am worried about this. What medication should I use on her feet with which will heal her toes the best and quickest? Also, we are seeing an endocrinologist who only has five juvenile patients. Do you think that a doctor who deals mainly with children could be of more benefit to us?

I would discuss with the dance teacher trying to find proper shoes and socks to avoid the blisters.

If your child's doctor keeps up to date on diabetes management, has been trained in the care of children with diabetes, and is willing to work closely with you and refer you to a nutritionist if necessary, I would not be concerned if he or she does not have a large number of patients with diabetes at the present time.

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Daily Care