Question:

From Regensburg, Germany:

I heard about pills from a Californian hospital for Type 1 diabetes instead of insulin. My brother is 7 years old and got diabetes 3 years ago. He is the only one in our family with diabetes. Do you have a address where I can get these pills and can get information about them?

Answer:

Don't get too excited. I have to admit that I don't know what pills you are talking about but I do know that there is no replacement for insulin. A variety of "add-on" treatments have been tried over the years to smooth blood sugar fluctuations in Type 1 diabetes, including guar gum, acarbose, etc. However, the fundamental abnormality in this condition is absence of the pancreatic beta cells that make insulin. If you don't put back the insulin then body cells can't take up glucose from the bloodstream.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes