From Newark, Delaware, USA:

I am not diabetic but my girlfriend is, thus I was wondering two things: what are the long time complications associated with diabetes and what can I do to support or help her? I love her dearly and I will do anything for her. I have done a fair amount of research on my own, but I want to know more so that I can better relate to her needs.

It is gratifying to hear of your commitment to your relationship. Persons with diabetes bloom with support! Have you heard of the DCCT and its results? If not, I would recommend that you review its findings. With good control, the complications of diabetes can be minimized, forestalled, or eliminated: and the research is progressing ahead everyday. Although you love your girlfriend, you cannot manage her diabetes. It is her responsibility. However, you can help by encouragement, kindness, and listening to her.

It is never helpful to nag, judge, or live in fear of the future. I commend you for wanting to know all you can about diabetes. This website, along with others, can guide you along the way. There are also these resources: The Diabetes Forecast magazine, and Videotapes and books to explore.

Posted to Complications and Social Issues: Community Resources