Question:

From Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil:

My mother is 60 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. I would like to know if there has been any progress about the benefit of brewer's yeast as an insulin stimulator.

Answer:

In the past brewer's yeast, a complex of nicotinic acid and chromium, was used to enhance the activity of insulin in Type 2 Diabetes. Clinical studies, which were reviewed by Z. Mertz in the Journal of Nutrition 12:626, 1993, gave rather equivocal reports. Where chromium supplements are given nowadays it is mostly as chromium picolinate.

DO'B

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations