From Pierre, South Dakota, USA:

My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes approximately 16 months ago. Recently my health insurance company with no notice at all took the Lilly insulin, which my daughter currently takes, off of their preferred formulary list and wants my daughter to switch to Novolin insulin. I am concerned about switching my daughter over to the Novolin and disrupting her blood glucose numbers. She currently is in excellent control. She takes R, N and Humalog and am also concerned about mixing two brands of insulin, since Novo does not make Humalog. What should I do? I have written the insurance company asking for an exception since my daughter is on Humalog but, they seemed to just "brush me off" with their response. Do I have any other recourse?

Obviously, you'll have to get Lilly's brand of Humalog, since Novo-Nordisk doesn't have a comparable product. I would have your doctor write a letter of exception to your insurance company.

Even though there's nothing that I know of in the published literature about mixing brands of insulin, if worst comes to worst, I know people who have done it without apparent problems.

[Editor's comment: If you continue to have problems, contact your local American Diabetes Association affiliate. The ADA has provided support for people who face discrimination due to diabetes. JSH]

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs and Insulin