From America On-Line:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 33 years and have a 9 year old son. Is there anything I could or should not do to help prevent him from ever getting this disease? I had read once that there may be a link between milk and childhood onset diabetes.

There is nothing you can do to prevent diabetes if your son is going to get it. However, you can have him screened for antibodies and participate ine experimental treatment if they are present. Look for more information on the DPT-1.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

There has been lots of discussion, but very little convincing evidence, that drinking cow's milk might increase the chances of developing type 1 diabetes: see previous discussions about at the Causes and Prevention section of Ask the Diabetes Team.