Question:

From British Columbia, Canada:

I am a 17 year old female with Type 1 diabetes. I have episodes where I black out and I can't remember what has happened. I would like to know what would cause this and any possible treatments.

Answer:

Was this "blackout" due to hypoglycemia? Hypoglycemia (or low blood sugar) is an acute complication of diabetes and trying to control blood glucose levels. Since you have Type 1, you should be educated about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of hypoglycemia.

JW

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Except for hypoglycemia, "blackouts" are not associated with diabetes. If your blood sugars are normal (or high) during the "blackouts," you should see a physician for evaluation, promptly!

WWQ

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other Illnesses