From Federal Way, Washington, USA:

I'm 22, have had Type 1 Diabetes for 18 years, and am 8 weeks pregnant. No one told me any of the complications or the problems that could occur during pregnancy. Now I'm scared to death that something bad will happen. I had a miscarriage about 3 years ago, and wasn't told anything then either. I give up on relying on a doctor to tell me the much needed information, is there any good books, that can detail a diabetic pregnancy for me? Mostly information on the foods to eat, exercises to do, and things to avoid? Please help!

The best thing for you to do at this point is schedule an appointment with a high-risk pregnancy specialist (also called a perinatologist). Diabetes in pregnancy is best managed by a team consisting of an obstetrician, endocrinologist (diabetologist), dietitian, and a diabetic nurse specialist. With this team, the complications of diabetes in pregnancy can be minimized. They can answer many of your questions about diet, insulin control, etc.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

If your doctor isn't helping you with your answers, you should schedule an appointment with another obstetrician (who is willing to spend the time to answer your questions or help you find the answers) as soon as possible, preferably this week! In the meantime, if you are under the care of an endocrinologist, he/she should be able to help out with many of your questions; if you're not seeing an endo, call your nearest hospital and ask their Diabetes Nurse Educator for help.

Posted to Family Planning