Question:

From Colorado, USA:

Does a sun lamp help with necrobiosis? Does a lot of regular sun help? I have had diabetes since I was nine; I'm now 15. I have a large spot on each leg that is growing slowly.

Answer:

I do not believe that either a sun lamp or exposure to sunlight will have any effect on the necrobiosis. Treatment has been rather disappointing; but you might like to talk to your doctor about vitamin B6 or nicotinamide in large doses. You can read a little bit more about this at previous answer and if someone in the family can get to a medical library they could find all the details in the Br J Dermatol 1988 May;118(5):693-696, "High dose nicotinamide in the treatment of necrobiosis lipoidica" by Handfield-Jones S, Jones S, and Peachey R. (see abstract at PubMed).

DO'B

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.