From New Brunswick, Canada:

My five year old son drinks incredible amounts of liquids. I had him tested for diabetes but it came back negative. He has lost weight (5 pounds) and seems really pale. Could they have made a mistake? Should I get him re-tested?

The criteria required for the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus, as you imply you are concerned about in your child on the basis of the symptoms of increased fluid consumption and losing weight, are a fasting blood sugar greater than 126 mg/dl and a random blood sugar of 200 mg/dl or greater. If either of these do not occur and sugar in the urine is absent, the diagnosis is excluded. You might ask your doctor about doing tests for other disorders, including diabetes insipidus.