From America On-Line:

I am looking for daycare for my newly diagnosed 18 month old son. I am having great trouble finding any places that will accept him. The one place I found (and which has no openings for 6 months) says I must get an outside person to come in to do the blood sugar checks. Please let me know what the legality of this is and where appropriate daycare may be found.

I would gather as much information as you can, and gently let the day care know that your child has the right to appropriate diabetes care at a day care center. Also talk to your child's diabetes care team, as they likely have experience in your area with day care centers.

There is a recent legal precedent for pursuing diabetes care in the day care setting: (Stuthard v. KinderCare, Inc.). You can also contact the American Diabetes Association or Juvenile Diabetes Foundation for more advice and assistance.

Hopefully, when you correct the lack of knowledge, the center will be interested in arranging for your son's care.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare