Question:

From Washington, USA:

My 15 year old son has been having a lot of trouble getting up in the mornings and the school is calling me because he is having hypoglycemia symptoms at school.

I started checking his blood sugar because my dad is diabetic and had a machine. They seem to run vary low in the mornings, usually in the 60s or 70s. I started checking it in the morning, mid afternoon and they usually are always in the 70s. Is this something that I need to be concerned about? You can tell his behavior changes and is hard to handle when it is that low. I know I need to take him to the doctor but our insurance doesn't kick in for another month. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Answer:

Home blood glucose meters are not accurate enough to tell the difference between low blood sugars and low normal. There are many things that can cause behavior changes in an adolescent. Only a thorough evaluation by a physician can help make the diagnosis. Perhaps there is a local clinic that lets patients pay according to a sliding scale based on their income. Maybe the school can help recommend such a clinic to you.