From Pensacola, Florida, USA:

My son has the symptoms of an ADHD child. He is uncontrollable and sometimes acts like an animal that needs to be put in a a cage. He is four, but already he is not the sweet child I used to have. I have a 8 month old daughter that he is constantly trying to hurt. He is intentionally mean to everyone, he hits me and everyone else. I have heard that there can be a link between ADHD like-symptoms and diabetes. My son's teacher told me the other day that I need to have him tested for diabetes because he urinates all of the time. I am very concerned about him. He is not even on the height and weight chart for other children his age. He is so tiny, he can wear some 2T clothes. He has fits for candy, if we are in the house all day and he does not have any candy, he will dig through the cushions in a rage to find candy. Can there be some kind of link between these ADHD-like symptoms and him maybe having diabetes? I want to do whatever I can to avoid Ritalin!

It certainly cannot hurt to have your son tested for diabetes. The usual classic symptoms include excessive thirst, excessive urination, excessive hunger with accompanying weight loss. There could be other medical conditions to explain his failure to maintain his growth percentiles. I think he needs a complete physical work up by a medical doctor/endocrinologist.

The rages you describe may not be attributable to diabetes and may have their roots in psychosocial areas. My recommendation is to have him tested by a psychologist in your area.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and ADHD