From Germany:

My son is 5 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. We would like information about Humalog insulin. We battle 3 A.M. lows especially when insulin must be given at dinnertime. He is currently taking 10N in the A.M. and is on a sliding scale for dinnertime dosage of R. If he receives R at night he only needs 0.5 units. We believe he is still producing a fair amount of insulin especially when he receives no insulin at dinnertime and it low (30-40) at 3 A.M.

I can't make specific recommendations although he is probably still in the honeymoon period. I would speak to your child's diabetes team about whether any change is needed in his insulin regimen. Perhaps, according to your description, I would think N in the morning could be reduced (or split if, after reduction, fasting blood sugar rises). Humalog is a fast absorbed and short-acting insulin that can be injected just before meal or even after eating, thus preventing lows later.

Posted to Insulin Analogs