From Idaho, USA:

My son, age 14, has had Type 1 diabetes for about 2 1/2 years. He has been using a Novopen for about a year. Last week, after he gave himself his evening dose, the needle remained under his skin. I had to take him to the emergency room to have it removed. I am planning on contacting the manufacturer. Has this type of situation happened to others? If so, how often? What is the proper course of action? Do you think the company will assume responsibility for the emergency room costs?

Many people with diabetes experience this although, when you consider how many injections are being given around the world every day, it is a rare event. Like any manufactured product, insulin needles are occasionally weaker than they should be, or they are twisted on insertion in such a way that they break. I am sure that the company will not assume responsibility and you did the right thing, because leaving a needle under the skin is a recipe for problems with pain and infection.