Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

Can sunburn and/or vaccinations cause elevated blood sugar readings in a 32 year old male Type 1 diabetic? Vaccines were for an overseas trip and included Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Polio, TD, Measles, oral Typhoid. Also, he seems to sometimes have what I think is acetone breath, but his blood sugar readings are then fine. Can something else cause this odor? It smells like alcohol to me.

Answer:

Because sunburn and vaccinations can be considered "stressors" to the body, yes they can cause elevations in the blood sugars. I would think that these elevations would be short-lived, though. You also asked about an alcohol or acetone smell to the breath when blood sugars are within a normal range. You also mentioned that this person is in his 30's. Might it be alcohol you are smelling?

JW

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA