From Wichita, Kansas, USA:

I am a 25 year old Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed 13.5 years ago. I just found out that I am pregnant; this is my first pregnancy. My doctor said that I might consider going on the insulin pump. I currently take 4 shots a day: 23 units of Humalog at breakfast, 14 u Humalog at lunch, 17 u of Humalog at dinner, and 13 u of NPH at bedtime. He asked me if I would get up at 3:00 A.M. to take another shot of Humalog. This is ridiculous! I am always extremely tired all the time right now. My last A1C was 7.0. I am 5'6" and am currently 121 pounds; before pregnancy I weighed 117 pounds. I am 11 weeks along. I typically wake up with a high blood sugar between 160-300 but I am not spilling ketones on most mornings.

My question is this: what are the risks of the insulin pump? What would the advantages be in my situation? Do you think I should consider this? I would like to talk to others who have been or are on the pump to get their insight.

I agree: getting up at 3:00 A.M. regularly for an insulin shot is excessive. However, it may be worthwhile checking, a few times, your blood sugar at 3:00 A.M. to see if is high or low and then adjusting your bedtime NPH accordingly.

Other options would be to use Ultralente twice a day (morning and bedtime) with Humalog prior to each meal.

The pump is safe in pregnancy and several of my patients have been satisfied with it. So that would be another option to consider. I cannot say that glucose control is better with the pump versus injections, however.

Posted to Family Planning and Insulin Pumps