Question:

I am writing for my mother, age 80 who has lived with diabetes for over 25 years. She is insulin dependent, taking two shots a day. She has energy, intelligence and commitment. Presently, she needs extra help and is willing to consider a short term (2-4 weeks) residential diabetes program. I have tried to local one -- anywhere in the USA -- but have been unsuccessful. Most of the treatment programs that I have found are out-patient run by a few doctors who specialize in diabetes treatment. We are looking for a total life-style approach. Can you help us locate one?

Answer:

I looked in some old magazines in my library, and I found the following places:

The Structure House in Durham, North Carolina: (800) 553-0052 or http://www.structurehou se.com/shouse/home.htm

Canyon Ranch, Tucson, Arizona: (800) 726-9900

Duke Center for Living, Durham, North Carolina: (800) 235-3853

Golden Door, Escondido, California: (800) 424-0777

Franklin Quest Institute of Fitness, Ivins, Utah: (801) 673-4905

The Disney Institute is also reported to be planning a program for people with diabetes.

WWQ