From Ohio, USA:

I have a question. My friend is a diabetic. He has been under a lot of stress lately and has quit taking his insulin shots and has started drinking. How is this affecting his body? Does it make him sick, is he in pain?

Your friend seems to be in trouble and you are wise to ask about his behavior. If he is a type one diabetic, he is certainly going to be acutely ill soon from omitting his insulin. DKA, or diabetic ketoacidosis, can be deadly. My hunch is that if he has been skipping his insulin for a while, he must be a Type 2 or he would already be very ill.

Sounds like he is becoming self-destructive given the drinking and mismanagement of his diabetes. Is he depressed? Is he suicidal? At the very least, his behavior is a cry for help. I would encourage him to seek counseling: offer to go with him. The alcohol can mask low blood sugar symptoms and he could pass out while driving or working. Also, the alcohol is impairing his judgement in general.

Do not ignore this behavior!

Posted to Behavior