Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Jun 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Why do you feel there is no herb that can help a diabetic? (29 Jun 1998)

2. My husband is 34 and was diagnosed at 13. We are trying to start a family, but we've been trying for five months with no luck. I know that diabetes can harm sperm production. How long should we wait until checking his sperm count? (29 Jun 1998)

3. Why would I get such different results from one A1c test to the next? (29 Jun 1998)

4. I have had diabetes for four years. I am now 13 years old. In the beginning I was taking good care of myself, but now I am starting to slack off. Are there any tips or information you can give me on taking care of my diabetes? (29 Jun 1998)

5. About how long does it take to get a stable regimen for glucose levels in children? (29 Jun 1998)

6. In all your questions and answers you refer to sugar levels reading "150". Here our sugar levels usually read for example 6,7; 8,3; 26.3. In what way would we then compare your readings with our readings? (29 Jun 1998)

7. Are there any clinical trials in the Baltimore/Washington area for Type 1 diabetes? My neighbor's child is 2 years old and has been diagnosed since he was 8 months old with type 1 diabetes. (29 Jun 1998)

8. Can just one blood test tell if I have diabetes? (29 Jun 1998)

9. My 10 year old son has had diabetes for three years. No matter what he does the diabetes always crops up. His blood sugar is affected by everything that he loves to do. I need some advice on how to manage this better. (28 Jun 1998)

10. My husband, age 40, was diagnosed with Type 1 four years ago. How long can he go untreated before something drastic physically happens, for example, coma, blindness or kidney failure? (28 Jun 1998)

11. Why does the medical profession ignore the positive effects of natural health sources? (28 Jun 1998)

12. My son is 15 and has had Type 1 for 5 years. Lately, he has become increasingly resistant to testing and taking shots regularly. We are becoming very concerned about his health. Do you think that a diabetes summer camp might be helpful even if he says he doesn't want to go? (28 Jun 1998)

13. My five year old son was diagnosed 7 months ago. The first week after being diagnosed he gained 5 pounds but has not gained any more since then. What are some reasons that he is not gaining weight? (28 Jun 1998)

14. Is there any relation between the level of vitamin A and Type 1 diabetes mellitus in comparison to Type 2 diabetes mellitus? (28 Jun 1998)

15. My daughter is 7 years old and had Type 1 diabetes for 1 year. She is very active, and has lots of scratches and abrasions. She is taking forever to heal. Is this common? (28 Jun 1998)

16. My 11 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a month ago. He also has had ADHD since he was 6 years old. His behavior since we have came home from the hospital has been worse than ever. Can diabetes make ADHD worse? Can it affect how his Ritalin works? (28 Jun 1998)

17. I am a 17 year old female. My great grandmother and grandfather have diabetes. I am not sure what type they have, but I was wondering what the risk is for me. (28 Jun 1998)

18. What are the normal ranges for blood sugar? (28 Jun 1998)

19. My son just turned 8 and has been diagnosed for 4 weeks with Type 1. I know herbs aren't a cure but can any help regulate the high and low glucose levels such as Spirulina and/or Pancreatic Enzymes? (24 Jun 1998)

20. I have a friend at work who is middle aged and I guess Type 1. He wants to know about the sugar content in fruit. He has been told that fruit has natural sugar and would like to know the different levels in different fruits. (24 Jun 1998)

21. Approximately 15 years ago, one of the science news magazine articles was concerning embryonic pancreatic transplants in Australia. (24 Jun 1998)

22. My goddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 9. She is now almost 21. Has been hospitalized with ketones more than once. Eats sweets galore. Hides wrappers. What should we do? (24 Jun 1998)

23. I have a son who is 5 years old with Type 1. We give him one unit of N at night after he is asleep. Giving him the shot at night is stressful to his mom. We are wondering if that small amount of insulin makes that much of a difference and could we simply omit that nighttime shot? (24 Jun 1998)

24. Can diabetes interfere with conception? (24 Jun 1998)

25. I have a friend who has a problem with enuresis. Your previous remarks on this issue have been aimed towards children. My friend is 30, diagnosed with type 1 at 17. Any thoughts on how to approach the problem? (24 Jun 1998)

26. I'm a 34 year veteran of diabetes, using NPH and R beef/pork Iletin I insulin. For a brief time seven years ago I tried Humulin insulin and I had very severe low blood sugar episodes. I realize that my insulin is going to be discontinued. What will I do when this happens? (24 Jun 1998)

27. I recently read an abstract of a medical article that said if you have gestational diabetes, that you should not get pregnant again because it increases your risk of developing (non-gestational) diabetes. Is this true? (24 Jun 1998)

28. I am 28 years old and diagnosed with gestational diabetes. What is an acceptable blood glucose level for me to maintain? My ob/gyn insists that anything over 120 is extremely harmful for my baby. (24 Jun 1998)

29. Is it preferable to treat high blood sugars with diet instead of additional insulin? (21 Jun 1998)

30. What are some "free" snacks that I can eat during the day? (21 Jun 1998)

31. Where can we get milk and food that has no sugar in it? (21 Jun 1998)

32. What is the nutritional value of avocados? (21 Jun 1998)

33. I am 19 years old, and was diagnosed with diabetes 2 1/2 years ago. Lately my blood sugars have been extremely high. I was asked if I had a fever. I was wondering what that would mean, if I did. (21 Jun 1998)

34. I heard that in Russia they made a medicine called "inulin" made from something called "topinambura" and it helps to cure diabetes in early age. (19 Jun 1998)

35. I am trying to find out how much sugar there is in a can of soda, but not in terms of grams. I want something more concrete to explain to young children, for instance, teaspoons. (19 Jun 1998)

36. I am a 26 year old male and have had Type 1 diabetes since I was thirteen. I am in pretty good control however I would like to be in excellent control. I am interested in a pump, but I am extremely active and am afraid the pump might get in the way. (19 Jun 1998)

37. What are the normal ranges for blood sugar? (19 Jun 1998)

38. I have a 7 year old daughter who was diagnosed at age 4. Last year we found out that she had hearing loss in her right ear and requires a hearing aid. Now they say she needs a hearing aid in the left ear. I was wondering if low blood sugars could cause damage to the nerve. (19 Jun 1998)

39. I have been diabetic for 15 years since I was 8 years old. Lately I have been experiencing a lot of bowel problems. Is there any connection between bowel problems and Type 1 diabetes? (19 Jun 1998)

40. I use an insulin pump. How likely is a coma due to high or low blood sugars? (19 Jun 1998)

41. Can you tell me information on a diet called the Hawaiian Diet? (19 Jun 1998)

42. Our son just turned 4 and he has had Type 1 diabetes for 2 years. Please help my wife and I with our recent debate on managing his insulin shot. (19 Jun 1998)

43. Our son is 10 years old and has had type one diabetes for three years. He has started to show signs of depression and has actually said that he would rather be dead than be diabetic. (19 Jun 1998)

44. Is there a list available of board certified pediatric endocrinologists in the United States? (17 Jun 1998)

45. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 33 years and have a 9 year old son. Is there anything I could or should not do to help prevent my son from ever getting this disease? (17 Jun 1998)

46. Is it safe for a Type 1 diabetic to take aspirin on hemodialysis? (17 Jun 1998)

47. I am a 24 year old college student with IDDM. I live on a very fixed income and can not afford medical insurance. I'd like to be able to better manage my diabetes but find it hard just paying for insulin and syringes. (17 Jun 1998)

48. I am 13 and was just diagnosed with Type 1. I'm having problems with one teacher who does not understand that I have to go to the washroom occasionally during his class to do a blood sugar check. Can you help? (17 Jun 1998)

49. My son is 6 years old. He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year ago. He takes R and NPH now. We are considering using Ultralente instead of NPH. Is Ultralente recommended for a boy of age six? (17 Jun 1998)

50. I am 28 years old, and have had insulin dependent diabetes for the past 15 years. I would like to know whether diabetics like me can conceive normal children? (17 Jun 1998)

51. How does a glucose analyzer operate and what chemical reactions are carried out on the strip? (17 Jun 1998)

52. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 one year ago. I read of problems with insulin shot locations, knots or indentations. Can those be avoided with a jet injector? (17 Jun 1998)

53. I just got diabetes two years ago, and it has been really hard. I'm only 12. Do you have any tips on how I can maintain my sugar? (17 Jun 1998)

54. What is the link between Cushing's Syndrome and diabetes? (12 Jun 1998)

55. I am working with vegetarian diabetics and would like to know what I should recommend for legumes. Should I count them at carbohydrates? Protein? How are these affecting blood sugars? Does the soluble fiber slow absorption? (12 Jun 1998)

56. One of my friends asked me if you could get diabetes by your blood accidently mixing with a diabetic's blood. Since diabetics have antibodies in their blood, is this possible? (I'm also Type 1.) (12 Jun 1998)

57. My son, 15 years old, developed Type 1 diabetes one year ago. He had a remission for 6 months with normal blood sugar levels. After this, he re-started with insulin to normalize his values. Is it common to have 6 month long remission? (12 Jun 1998)

58. Where could I find a health insurance company for diabetics? My current health insurance is way too expensive and does not accommodate my illness appropriately. (12 Jun 1998)

59. If a yogurt has Nutrasweet [brand of aspartame] in it, can a diabetic eat it? (12 Jun 1998)

60. My daughter (7 years old, type 1: diagnosed 2 years ago) may have been exposed to "fifth disease." Being she has an "autoimmune" disease, is she at a greater risk for complications if she comes down with this viral infection? (12 Jun 1998)

61. My son, who has Type 1, craves sweets. I switched to stevia for making herbal iced tea, which he drinks a lot of. Are there any valid concerns about stevia? (12 Jun 1998)

62. I noticed in a previous question you indicated there were environmental factors that contributed to diabetes. Would you please indicate references? (12 Jun 1998)

63. I have been using Humalog since December, 1997. I just recently found out that I am pregnant. I am not sure of which would be better: Humalog or Regular. (12 Jun 1998)

64. I am trying to prepare for my grandfather's 89th birthday and I am wondering if you have any ideas for a birthday cake or something like that? (11 Jun 1998)

65. Would you please tell those who wish to learn more where we may obtain information on C-peptide and how they may obtain C-Peptide supplementation? (11 Jun 1998)

66. Help! I'm a private-pay patient in need of inexpensive glucose monitoring strips for my major brand of meter. (11 Jun 1998)

67. I'm having problems with my eyes. The skin on both lids has become cracked and flaky. Once or twice a day one or both eyes will start to tear and feel like its got something (soft and gelatinous) in it by the tear duct. (11 Jun 1998)

68. I took my son to the doctor to have a blood test done and he said not to worry he is too young to have diabetes. His blood sugar at one point was 9.6 mmol/liter [173 mg/dl]. Should I be concerned? (11 Jun 1998)

69. My daughter, age 17, was diagnosed when she was 12. Everything has been great until this year. She has been on the insulin pump for almost 3 years. She hardly ever checks her blood sugar. Sometimes she doesn't even take her bolus. (11 Jun 1998)

70. My son was diagnosed at 1 year of age; he is currently 2 years, 8 months old. His diabetes has been a real rollercoaster. Every since his diagnosis he has been sick with anything and everything. (11 Jun 1998)

71. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 2. She was recently also diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid failure. What are the odds that her immune system will stop at only two attacks now that is has started this onslaught? (11 Jun 1998)

72. My daughter, 4-1/2 years old, has been having headaches for about 6 months. We have been keeping a diary and 95% of the headaches seem to be sugar related. (11 Jun 1998)

73. My 14 year-old daughter was diagnosed 18 months ago. Initially her control was good. However recently, with the onset of puberty which was delayed, her levels have been very high. (11 Jun 1998)

74. What colleges and universities in the eastern U.S. have good diabetic support groups? (8 Jun 1998)

75. I own a vitamin and supplement company. I recently had a 15 year old make with Type 1 diabetes ask me if taking creatine monohydrate to help increase his strength would cause insulin spikes or any other problems. What can you tell me about creatine monohydrate? (8 Jun 1998)

76. I want some advice or a recommended source for parenting a teenager with diabetes so that I may facilitate a well adjusted, well controlled diabetic teenager. (8 Jun 1998)

77. Both this year and last in the Spring I have developed high blood sugar seemingly in association with a virus. I am 49 years old and healthy. Have you heard of a virus associated blood sugar problem? (8 Jun 1998)

78. My 15 year old has Type 1. His endocrinologist is suggesting that if his A1C has not significantly improved, he wants him to begin taking a fourth shot. His last A1C was in the upper 8 range. 7 or below is this doctor's standard. (8 Jun 1998)

79. I have a 2 year old who was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 14 months. Please explain "rebounding" to me. She will often wake up too low or way too high. Is this a sign of a rebound? (7 Jun 1998)

80. Does dehydration make the reading of a blood sugar level finger prick test wrong? (7 Jun 1998)

81. I have a son who will soon be 5 and was diagnosed with Type 1 seven months ago. Within that same time frame, two other children within 2 miles of our house and within a year of his age were diagnosed. Now, I have found out that another child his age was just diagnosed. (7 Jun 1998)

82. Is Cryptosporidium of particular concern for a child with diabetes? (7 Jun 1998)

83. I am looking for information about diabetes and stress. (7 Jun 1998)

84. Do you have some suggestions for a diet for a young toddler with diabetes? (7 Jun 1998)

85. Should we use Regular or Humalog with a pump? Our team is new to kids with pumps, and they seem uncomfortable with Humalog. Is there an advantage to either? (7 Jun 1998)

86. What are some of the questions I should ask my physician if I think my son should be tested for diabetes? (7 Jun 1998)

87. Is vomiting a sign of diabetes? (7 Jun 1998)

88. I was wondering how bad alcohol hurts me. I am 23 years old and Type 1 diabetic in a honeymoon period. (7 Jun 1998)

89. I belong to a school nurse list group. One of the recent postings was talking about a possible link between the HIB immunization and diabetes. There was also the question of timing of MMR immunization and the onset of diabetes. (5 Jun 1998)

90. Is there a correlation between prednisone and the onset of Type 1 diabetes? (5 Jun 1998)

91. Is there a "Lemon Law" or other source of support to help people who have purchased faulty or unreliable medical equipment? (5 Jun 1998)

92. I have a five and a half year old daughter who has had Type 1 for three years. I have heard great things about the pump being used in children. Do you think she would be a candidate? (5 Jun 1998)

93. My 10 year old son has had diabetes for 2 years. Recently, I changed his diet completely. I let him have more sweets, especially at snack time. Since I have started doing this my son doesn't feel so deprived and his blood sugar is great! (5 Jun 1998)

94. I was wondering if and how diabetes causes high cholesterol. (3 Jun 1998)

95. My grandson is Type 1 and 2 1/2 years old. The biggest problem lately has been with low blood sugars due to his refusal to eat or drink his juice. My daughter is at wit's end trying to get a 2-year old to eat when he needs to. (3 Jun 1998)

96. My six year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes seven months ago. We are having some difficulty adjusting her insulin doses to avoid as many lows and highs as possible. (3 Jun 1998)

97. My daughter is 7. We check her blood four times daily. On most days, one finger stick is sufficient to produce a drop of blood large enough for the meter reading. On other days, we can poke the fingers 10 or more times and not be able to obtain enough blood. (3 Jun 1998)

98. I was just informed that I have diabetes, and I was wondering if you could get me some information on what my life will be like now. (1 Jun 1998)

99. My daughter, age 28, was diagnosed at the age of 12. She is now experiencing body temperature drops that seem to be associated with the insulin reactions. Suggestions? (1 Jun 1998)

100. My 14 year old son has high blood sugars after school. His blood sugar levels are 250 to 400. He won't take his lunchtime Humalog shot. (1 Jun 1998)

101. My 13 year old daughter got diabetes when she was 4. Will too much carbohydrates cause a problem for her? If so, why? How much should she have a day? (1 Jun 1998)

102. Four weeks ago our 5 yearsold son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. What are his chances to be healthy again? Is there any new medicine or promising research? (1 Jun 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts