From Cairo, Egypt:

Four weeks ago our 5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Neither my wife nor I have diabetes. The doctors are still looking for right dosage of insulin.

What are his chances to be healthy again? Is there any new medicine or promising research?

When a child is diagnosed with diabetes, it can be very frightening for the parents. In the past, many years ago, a diagnosis of diabetes meant certain death. However, the discovery of insulin was a true miracle! Although there is not currently a cure for diabetes, insulin has made the management of the disease possible. Finding just the right dose for your child is an important factor in the overall treatment of diabetes. If you do not have a pediatric endocrinologist, I would urge you to try to connect with one.

Your child is not unhealthy. Your child has a treatable condition. Insulin must be a part of that treatment, since insulin is necessary for life. As your child grows, the medical research for a cure also grows. There is already lots of research going on, and some of the recent information is summarized at this website and elsewhere.

We, at Children With Diabetes, join with you in the hope that a cure is not far away. Meanwhile, the goal you must have as a parent is to keep your child educated, strong, and positive.

Posted to Research: Cure and Diagnosis and Symptoms